This outfit I thought was a little much for BYU-I campus, so I went to International House of Pancakes with my friends. They were dressed in fairly conservative outfits. Most of the big reactions I got were from my friends. As we were leaving for dinner I ran into I guy in my ward he said, “ Wow, you look…. Different” I told him it was a new style that I wanted to pick up. While at the dinner my friends told me that when I was wearing this outfit I was a completely different person; I didn’t smile or laugh the entire dinner. While at IHOP the other people in the restaurant wouldn’t make eye contact with me, when I did look at them they looked away. The waitress treated me very specially; it was almost as she was worried about hurting my feelings. Almost like she pitied me and made it a point to treat me nicely. My best friend HATED this assignment; she told me I looked scary and depressed. I felt so out of place and this night was the most miserable night of the whole semester. I couldn’t believe how much this outfit affected the way I acted and my personality.
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Fashion and Society Assignment #5
When I think of the Goth style, I think of jet-black clothes and kids with attitude. The people who dress in this style to me have a very unique sense of themselves and the world around them. They aren’t afraid to state how they feel through their clothes. My Goth outfit consisted of; black boots, black pants, a black button up shirt held together with safety pins and a long black coat. I dyed my hair jet black, painted my nails black, made my skin look as pale as possible and I wore heavy dark eye make up.

This outfit I thought was a little much for BYU-I campus, so I went to International House of Pancakes with my friends. They were dressed in fairly conservative outfits. Most of the big reactions I got were from my friends. As we were leaving for dinner I ran into I guy in my ward he said, “ Wow, you look…. Different” I told him it was a new style that I wanted to pick up. While at the dinner my friends told me that when I was wearing this outfit I was a completely different person; I didn’t smile or laugh the entire dinner. While at IHOP the other people in the restaurant wouldn’t make eye contact with me, when I did look at them they looked away. The waitress treated me very specially; it was almost as she was worried about hurting my feelings. Almost like she pitied me and made it a point to treat me nicely. My best friend HATED this assignment; she told me I looked scary and depressed. I felt so out of place and this night was the most miserable night of the whole semester. I couldn’t believe how much this outfit affected the way I acted and my personality.
This outfit I thought was a little much for BYU-I campus, so I went to International House of Pancakes with my friends. They were dressed in fairly conservative outfits. Most of the big reactions I got were from my friends. As we were leaving for dinner I ran into I guy in my ward he said, “ Wow, you look…. Different” I told him it was a new style that I wanted to pick up. While at the dinner my friends told me that when I was wearing this outfit I was a completely different person; I didn’t smile or laugh the entire dinner. While at IHOP the other people in the restaurant wouldn’t make eye contact with me, when I did look at them they looked away. The waitress treated me very specially; it was almost as she was worried about hurting my feelings. Almost like she pitied me and made it a point to treat me nicely. My best friend HATED this assignment; she told me I looked scary and depressed. I felt so out of place and this night was the most miserable night of the whole semester. I couldn’t believe how much this outfit affected the way I acted and my personality.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
It was amazing to learn that. It makes me wonder what the young people who dress like this are REALLY thinking and feeling???
You dyed you hair? Will it wash out?
Yeah, it was the fake stuff. It washed right out thank heavens!!
So fascinating!!! It's amazing how people react and how it makes you feel. And I love that the first thing your mom says is, "You dyed your hair?" Ha ha! Just like a mom! :)
What a original experience. Not many people experience how others feel because of the way they are dressed. I'm sorry you had such a horrible night, but it really does make you wonder what's going on in the minds of those who choose to dress that way!
(Glad to know the black die washes out!) :)
Thanks guys!! I was SO relieved to get that experience over with. It was incredible how much dressing a certain way effect my interactions with other people and more importantly myself.
Dude, that is SCARY!
Post a Comment