Monday, November 9, 2009

Fashion and Society Assignment #6

The first thing that came to my mind when I thought about punk was rebellion against fashion, popular music and the man. Punk is a lifestyle shaped by music and the musicians. My outfit consisted of; brown chunky boots, ripped boot cut jeans, a vintage nirvana t-shirt over a pink thermal and I wore colorful bracelets and loud colorful earrings. I had my hair in a faux hawk and had black streaks running through it. For my make up I had heavy eyeliner with bright eye shadow and I wore bright green nail polish.



In this outfit I went to a Relief Society Activities planning meeting, a dinner at McDonalds and Broulims. While I was at a Relief Society planning meeting on of the girls asked me, “Are you going to a concert?” I responded by telling her that, “I was going to McDonalds with some friends,” and she gave me a look of disbelief. While I was at McDonalds with my friends, we noticed a middle age man, who was with his family, kept staring at me. The cashier didn’t look me in the eyes when I ordered. We also noticed that when we arrived at McDonalds the place was full and when we left the whole place was empty. Maybe it was just the timing, but it seemed like I cleared the whole place out! We stopped at Broulims on the way back to my friend’s apartment and a random guy walked up to me and pointed out that a Nirvana song was playing on the radio, that has never happened to me in a grocery store. I felt like I stood out in this outfit, mostly because the boots made me taller than half of the population of Rexburg. But I did feel like a different person in this outfit, I felt empowered and outgoing. I didn’t really care that people were staring at me, it was if I relished in the fact it was different. That result completely different from what I thought I would feel.

3 comments:

Lisa Webb said...

I think this is super cute! I love the bright colors you added which makes it different from the goth look, its more playful. I think its so fun which is probally why when ever i can, halloween or otherwise i love to dress up 80's punk rock! so fun!! love these assignments your doing!

Amanda said...

Great outfit! Rock on!!! :)

Nicole said...

Thanks!! It was WAY fun style to portray! I really wanted to die my hair really funky colors but could find the wash out kind. I'm glad you guys liked the outfit!