Monday, September 21, 2009

Fashion and Society Assignment #1

I'm taking a really fascinating sociology class this semester, it's called Fashion and Society. Some of the objects in the course are to develop and understanding why certain people dress a certain way or adopt a certain style, examine the hidden messages of fashion and to see past peoples clothing choice.
This first fashion assignment is PREPPY!!

When I think of preppy I think conservative, hard workingand American, which plays perfectly into our typical Latter- Day Saint mentality. I chose to wear a pink and purple plaid shorts (which I considered to be very feminine), a purple cami pared with a white cardigan and matching pink tennis shoes. My make up was clean and fresh with muted colors and it did not draw too
much unneeded attention to my face. In this outfit I went to the Rex Theater with my friend. We played games at the arcade and walked around the bowling alley while we waited for our movie to start. This fashion assignment was not too far from how I usually dress, so I did not notice anything drastically different in my relations with other people. I felt like I faded into the background, because it seems to be a very popular style in Rexburg. I did not feel like people noticed how I was dressed and no one was surprised by the way I was dressed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great picture, Nicole. You look very put together.

Tyann said...

Cute outfit! Sounds like a fun assignment. How's school going? Is it nice to be back in Idaho? I bet Becca is missing you. It's good to have you back in the blogging world! :)